The Big Steps books are a great way of introducing children to different life skills and building their confidence and familiarity with doing them. Watching characters their own age experience different things goes a long way in letting children know that they are normal, healthy and not scary.
The children enjoyed pointing to the different pictures, opening flaps and naming objects, which is fantastic for helping to build their vocabulary and prepare them for learning to read. The book is also sturdy enough for enthusiastic hands. Our testers found the little tips at the bottom of the page useful and in one case, they helped to transform a reluctant dresser into someone who is happy to get dressed most mornings!
Each page has really helpful tips for parents and carers that are endorsed by leading Early Years Consultant, Dr Amanda Gummer. With delightful illustrations from Marion Cocklico these books are brought to life with fun flaps and mechanisms.
In No More Nappies, meet Millie and Mo – two adorable toddlers who are ready to ditch their nappies and learn how to use the potty.
- In I’m Starting Nursery, Ben is sad after Daddy drops him at nursery for the first time. But not for long… he soon makes friends and finds lots of things to do and in no time at all, Daddy is back!
- In Can You Say Please?, Tom and Nancy share their toys and practise their good manners.
- In We Can Get Dressed, Millie and Mo get ready for a day out.
- In We’re Having a Baby, Nancy is going to be a big sister. Her family help her prepare for the new baby. See Grandma and Grandpa come to look after her when Mummy and Daddy go to the hospital, then watch as she welcomes her new brother home.
- In We’re Going to the Dentist, Nancy and Teddy go for a dental check-up
- In I’m Not Sleepy, watch little Ned and his mummy go through their bedtime routine even though Ned is “not a bit sleepy”. See Ned clear away his toys, have a bath, a story and then a song.
- In We’re Going to the Doctor, Billy and Nell go for a check-up and have an injection.
Board book, 12 pages
Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 0.5 x 7.5 inches
Age: 12-36 months